[RDP] MIDI switcher (it's sorta done, and it works!)

Ferdinand O. Tempel pw at linuxops.net
Fri Jan 21 17:09:08 EST 2011

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 23:39 +0100, Frederick Henderson wrote:
> Hi Ferdinand O. Tempel!
>
> Do I understand you patch correctly. Is this only for GPI (General Purpose
> Inputs)? In other words sensing when a button has been pushed or a switch
> closed?

Hi Frederick,

You're right in your understanding :)

> Have you thought to extend it to GPO (General Purpose Outputs)? In other
> words to push a button?  With something like this:
>
> http://tomscarff.110mb.com/midi_light/midi_light_controller.htm
>
> This would be an alternative to using a measurement computing board and
> needing to compile the modules. Which does not seem to work on all linux
> distros.

Actually, I didn't have a need to extend it to GPO myself, my goal was
to use a MIDI controller to operate rdairplay using buttons and faders.
Which works like charm, really. Being able to also use GPO using a
device such as the above might actually be useful. Stuff like "On Air"
lights and such is what I assume you have in mind with this. GPOs would
also come in handy to create bi-directional communication with the MIDI
controller which I use for input. For example, I'm able to press a
button on the MIDI controller which executes a macro cart to set On/Off
Air. But if I reset this through the software, the controller should
also be updated with this new status...yeah, I definitely see a use.

I won't promise anything, but I'll have a look at how hard it is to
modify for GPO.

Regards,

Ferdinand