[RDP] Meters vs. dBFS(?)

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Sat Mar 28 17:29:01 EDT 2009

On Saturday 28 March 2009 01:36:33 pm Dan Mills wrote:
> Broadcast metering is almost never done on digital peak meters (at least
> not in the studio, engineering may have some use for them), and as I say
> digital full scale is either 20db (SMPTE) or 14db (EBU) above nominal
> working level (EBU defines it as 18db above 0dbm, but almost everyone
> works around +4).

Rivendell's gain structure is 0 VU == -16 dBFS.  The seemingly oddball value
comes from industry practice in the US, where a number of other automation
systems use it.

|  The nice thing about standards is that there are so many of them to    |
|  choose from.                                                           |
|                                      -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum             |