[RDP] Patch: "no fade" option for segue transition

Stefan Gabriel stg at st-gabriel.de
Wed Oct 31 18:28:07 EDT 2007

Hello,

I was thinking about a few things, again. Some more suggestions and
questions.

2007/10/31, Stefan Gabriel <stg at st-gabriel.de>:

> 2007/10/31, Fred Gleason <fredg at paravelsystems.com>:
> >
> > I'm seeing a lot of anomalies in the Voice Tracker dialog.  With a test
> > log
> > consisting of two events with a SEGUE transition, the 'No Fade' box
> > unchecked
> > and no track markers, here's what I'm seeing:
> >
> > 1) The righthand-most rubber band handle won't move; however, when
> > attempting
> > to move it, the meter levels change as if the moving is being registered
> > somewhere.  After moving the start-of-fade handle, the righthand-most
> > handle
> > then suddenly jumps to the correct position.
>

> It's not a bug, it's the new feature :-)
> This is what I wrote about when replying to Scotts last mail. The problem
> is What kind of fade should we display with the rubber band. My approach
> here is: The rubber band should show what rdairplay will playout. If the
> fade marker (from logline or cut) comes before the segue marker, the
> (painted) fade will start here. If the segue marker comes before the fade
> marker, the fade will beginn here. As the rubber band target sets the fade
> marker, it can not be moved beyond the segue marker (or better: it can be
> moved, but the rubber band does not show it).
>
> We have to alternatives: Show segue fade and fade marker fade with 2
> different lines
> Or ignore the segue fade (like it is until now). That would mean: You do
> not see what you will hear

Another alternative:
The point is: with the rubber band we do edit the fade markers. So we can
oonly display the segue fade with the rubber band as long as nothing is
edited. That could also be solved this way: We switch to "no segue fade" as
soon as we move the rubber targets,

Another question is: How to handle the segue end point. At the moment the
voice tracker just ignores it. But that is not the ideal solution, as
rdairplay does not ignore them, of course. When we care about segue end
point: Should this also be true vor voice track recording? (At the moment
when recording or importing a voice track, segue gain and segue end point
are overwritten).

2) Right-clicking on one of the waveform panes causes red Start/Stop markers
> > to appear at the point of the click.
>

> This is already in the code. It was part of the voice tracker patch I did
> last year and you commited to cvs in spring. We had a small email discussion
> - in December, I think -  about the Set-Start-Point and Set-End-Point
> feature in the menu. So I added this as a marker, where the start or end
> point would be set.

I will change the menu entries:
Set Start Point (at marker)
Set End Point (at marker)

3) After using the right-click menu to remove the segue fade, there is no
> > way
> > to restore it (other than by abandoning the entire edit).  The menu item
> > should change to 'Add Segue Fade', thus allowing the user to toggle
> > between
> > the two states.
>

> I thought about it. But I did it that way, because it is the way the
> voice tracker used to work: As soon as you moved a track, it was switched to
> Segue Gain 0 - and the only the fader markers do control the volume.
> In voice tracker, when you remove the fade (=segue gain 0), you have the
> possibility to get the same effect with changing the rubber band. In logedit
> or rdairplay, you don't. Thats why I did not add the "add fade" feature

Should a "add segue fade" option  reset the hole segue or only change the
segue gain.
And: Should this overwrite a "no fade" setting of the cut?

Stefan