[RDP] Anyone know why rdairplay sends TWO SP commands?

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Sat Oct 27 20:37:49 EDT 2007

On Saturday 27 October 2007 18:15, Dan Mills wrote:
> So that is 3 spurious stops on handle 50, and one spurious unload on
> handle 50, something is rotten in rdairplay.

So it appears.

> Note that caed initiates things by reporting a end of cart, I am not
> sure this is quite right, as bulk log timing should be done to wall
> clock (to ensure everything runs to time) not sample clock, but be that
> as it may.

It is, but if caed runs out of samples, it will return SP to indicate the
fact.  However, it makes no difference even if the END marker is set well
before the actual end of data -- all the wall-clock timer does upon hitting
the END marker is issue an SP to caed.  It's the SP *return* from caed that
actually kicks off the business of sequencing to the next event (assuming a
play transition, that is), as per standard MVC design pattern.

As for the spurious SPs, I agree -- it doesn't look correct.  :(

|  ...one of the main causes of the fall of the Roman Empire was that,    |
|  lacking zero, they had no way to indicate successful termination of    |
|  their C programs.                                                      |
|                                            -- Robert Firth              |