[RDP] RDairplay pauses when caed reports no available streams...

Dan Mills dmills at exponent.myzen.co.uk
Sat Oct 27 17:21:22 EDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-27 at 21:48 +0100, Dan Mills wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have just been hacking around with caed to make it better support
> cards having no outputs (DVB receiver cards and the like), and have
> noticed that when rdairplay attempts to play something to such a card
> caed instantly tells it that there are no available streams, but
> rdairplay then pauses for a second (Almost like there is a timeout?).
>
> I have also seen similar behaviour on running out of streams.
> Anyone know what is going on?

Well this is interesting....

Caed starts a playback successfully:

CAE: connection 0 receiving LP 0 000056_001
CAE: Connection 0 sending LP 0 000056_001 0 0 +!

Caed fails to start a playback:

CAE: connection 2 receiving LP 0 000051_001
CAE: Connection 2 sending LP 0 51 0 -1 -!

Both these are on ALSA, but I bet the other drivers do the same basic
thing.

Note that in the second case the returned cart and cut name is truncated
and thus fails a string comparison in lib/rdcae.cpp causing everything
to hang for a second.

About to fix in CVS.

Regards, Dan.