[RDP] A Feature-CUT version?

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Thu Oct 25 15:47:19 EDT 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007 13:06:49 Alan Peterson wrote:
> We all look forward to more and more features being added into Rivendell,
> to make it the best audio storage/management system out there for any
> price. I think that rocks.
>
> But I wonder if a feature-*cut* version is also possible; one that can be
> used as a humble in-store music and announcement system?
>
> NCH Swift Sound makes a Windows-based retail-type program called BMS
> (www.nch.com.au/bms/index.html) that handles in-store music playback as
> well as a string of scheduled "attention shoppers" announcements. At
> US$168, BMS is certainly not going to break the bank anytime soon. But it
> seems as if a very fundamental form of RD can be wrapped up in a duh-proof
> GUI simple enough for the average shoe salesman to operate, which might
> compete as an Open Source alternative to such a program.
>
> BMS runs on a minimum PII-233. Well nuts, we can get Damn Small Linux to
> run on an abacus! There has to be some shopkeepers out there who'd be
> interested in a system like this, using that junk computer they keep back
> in the storeroom.
>
> Just a crazy thought...

It has been a while since I played with it, but, UBS - Unattended Broadcasting
System - may fit your bill...

Unattended Broadcasting System is a series of programs designed to run the
operations of a radio station completely unattended. This includes playing a
good selection of music, playing public service announcements and station
ID's, and other tasks normally done by a human DJ.

http://wmhd.rose-hulman.edu/ubs/

The software download can sometimes be difficult to find. I have found it
before. If you can't find it at all and you think you would like to mess with
it, I may have a copy kicking around on disk somewhere that I could hunt up
for you.

> Al P.

all the best,

drew