[RDP] A Feature-CUT version?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Thu Oct 25 13:26:06 EDT 2007

On Thu, Oct 25, 2007 at 01:06:49PM -0400, Alan Peterson wrote:
> But I wonder if a feature-*cut* version is also possible; one that can
> be used as a humble in-store music and announcement system?
>
> NCH Swift Sound makes a Windows-based retail-type program called BMS
> (www.nch.com.au/bms/index.html) that handles in-store music playback
> as well as a string of scheduled "attention shoppers" announcements.
> At US$168, BMS is certainly not going to break the bank anytime soon.
> But it seems as if a very fundamental form of RD can be wrapped up
> in a duh-proof GUI simple enough for the average shoe salesman to
> operate, which might compete as an Open Source alternative to such a
> program.
>
> BMS runs on a minimum PII-233. Well nuts, we can get Damn Small Linux
> to run on an abacus! There has to be some shopkeepers out there who'd
> be interested in a system like this, using that junk computer they
> keep back in the storeroom.

My personal observation is that xmms -- even in its commandline
incarnation -- will play random MP3s from a directory, and can even do
cross-fades with the proper plug in.

And it takes a *lot* less to set up.

Yes, this could be done with Rivendell... but why?  :-)

Just a motherboard that will boot from USB and a DSL or Puppy image on
a USB thumb drive with a directory for the audiotracks, share it out on
a LAN via Samba.  Minimal inittab that will run xmms in playall/random
mode against said share.

Passwords on the share so no one uploads Jerky Boys tracks into it, of
course.  :-)

Cheers,
-- jra