[RDP] Which mixing desk - other HW?

Sherrod Munday sherrod.munday at skyangel.com
Wed Oct 24 14:58:32 EDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 13:18 -0400, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 24, 2007 at 11:37:57AM -0400, Fred Gleason wrote:
> > On Tuesday 23 October 2007 20:22, Dan Mills wrote:
> > > You would probably have to
> > > run two X servers (one for each screen) to keep the touch geometry
> > > straight as the X sever can be a right pain in this regard. This is more
> > > X server then RD however.
> >
> > I have done it with a single X instance, but you're right, it's *not* trivial
> > to configure.  In particular, you'll likely need to hand-tweak 'x11.conf' --
> > on SuSE at least, the video configuration tool (Sax2) is nearly clueless when
> > it come to coping with multi-head setups.
>
> For what it's worth, I set SuSE 10.0 up a little over a year ago with 3
> PCI VGA cards and 21" monitors... and Everything Just Worked.  I got
> one big desktop spread horizontally over the three monitors.  I could
> set a separate background color on each one, and I *think* that I tried
> maximizing a KDE window to have it maximize only to the desktop it was
> on, as I desired.

I'm going through those gyrations right now with my Dell Latitude D820
laptop (SuSE 10.2) and an external monitor.  An additional wrinkle is
that I have a docking expansion station along with its monitor output
(both analog and DVI).  At least the docking station's analog monitor
port functions similarly to the laptop's analog monitor output...

Sax2 seems to do a reasonable job of figuring out how to do a dual-head
display with the NVidia chipset and the NVidia (yes, proprietary
closed-source) X video driver.  It won't start up with dual-head
enabled, but if I edit/configure the suggested setup I can enable
Dual-Head mode that will let me arrange the second head's position and
resolution.

The problem in my case is that when I go undocked or without an external
CRT attached the LCD screen defaults back to 1280x1024 (when in fact it
runs at 1920x1200 natively).

Even with hand-tweaking the xorg.conf file, I have yet to figure out how
to have a single config file work properly (i.e. full resolution) for
both a single display and a dual-head display when it's attached.

I may yet have to resort back to shell scripts I've used in the past...
prior to starting the X server they determine if the laptop is docked
and symlink the "xorg.conf" file to the appropriate
"xorg.conf.[undocked|docked]" file.  I know this would work but it's a
real pain since I don't know of a /proc file to query to determine if
the second head is available, so I have had to resort to other methods
and tricks.

Overall, dual-head in Linux can really be a pain.  Touchscreens are yet
another layer of pain.

BTW, I have yet to figure out how to enable the TV output of the NVidia
chipset -- that in theory could be a third head.  Now we're really
talking weird permutations.

Add in another video capture card/output device to my laptop's docking
station (that has a PCI slot) and I just don't have enough time to play
that long.  ;-)

--

Sherrod Munday
Vice President Engineering, IPTV