[RDP] Which mixing desk - other HW?

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Wed Oct 24 11:31:31 EDT 2007

On Tuesday 23 October 2007 19:25, Marcel Hecko wrote:
> Is there a way to wire RD to hadrware mixing desk and control the
> software from the desk? (automatically play song upon sliding up the
> slider, volume control...) - this should have hw-sw and sw-hs
> communication.

Remote start is easy, most every broadcast-capable desk can do this by
generating a contact closure that can then be wired into a GPI on the RD
computer.  Volume control (by which I assume you mean having the automation
set console fader levels remotely) is trickier -- you're going to need to go
with more of a 'console-router' type system to achieve that.  RD supports
several.  The one whose RD support is currently most developed and tested is
Logitek (http://www.logitekaudio.com/).  Another is Sierra Automated Systems
(http://www.sasaudio.com/).  A relatively new system whose support is just
being added to RD is Axia LiveWire (http://www.axiaaudio.com/).  Mind you,
all of these type systems are fancy, big-ticket items, but they do offer
unmatched flexibility as well as other advantages that traditional standalone
mixing desks can't match.

> We want to stream and archive playout via darkice and dedicated Linux
> set-up with NAS.

Should be straightforward to do.  I believe current versions of Ice have Jack
support.

|          "No, `Eureka!' is Greek for `This bath is too hot!'"           |
|                                              -- Dr. Who                 |