[RDP] Which mixing desk - other HW?

Marcel Hecko maco at maco.sk
Tue Oct 23 19:25:52 EDT 2007

Hi guys,
we are starting a new radio station in Bratislava - Slovakia. Since we
are in very early stages of designing the whole system I really need the
most information you can give me. Refferences, case-studies. We want to
make the radio fully open source based using minimal commercial software
and hardware solutions. We have experience with Aurdino boards,
Procesing, PureData and programming experience and we also administer
several Linux based servers, however we have very limited knowledge of
how to run radio - especially from the hardware side.

Is there a way to wire RD to hadrware mixing desk and control the
software from the desk? (automatically play song upon sliding up the
slider, volume control...) - this should have hw-sw and sw-hs
communication. If yes, which desk do you preffer? Connections to the ON
AIR sign, connections to the external CD DECKS?

We want to use 2 screens for DJ - both of them touch-sensitive - is RD
designed to support multi-screen environment and which touch screen do
you recommend?

We want to stream and archive playout via darkice and dedicated Linux
set-up with NAS.

...more questions to come.

Can you please direct me the right direction? I will be happy to go
through the whole process from design to launch of the station with you
people :) We will be happy to invite one or two of you to Slovakia -
Bratislava for our launch - the most helpful person will win the prize :)

Sincerely,
Marcel Hecko