[RDP] Daylight Saving Time?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Sat Nov 3 02:22:58 EDT 2007

On Fri, Nov 02, 2007 at 03:53:08PM +0000, John Handelaar wrote:
> > You need to have the 1 AM hour scheduled twice, as at 2 AM (localtime), it
> > will suddenly become 1 AM again.
>
> (I had to walk a station in Scotland through all this *last* weekend
> from a thousand miles away using only an SSH terminal and listening
> with a 10s delay over Shoutcast.  Hey -- nice work with that rmlsend,
> chaps.)
>
> More importantly...
>
> If you've got a top-of-hour hard start event, remember that the 2am
> one (which would have been 3am but the clocks just went back) has
> *already fired*.  You need to schedule another one of those.
>
> I think people might expect The Fail to happen at the moment the
> clocks change - in fact the one you need to look out for happens 60
> minutes later.
>
> In my case it was just rolling music at three in the morning.  I
> reloaded the day's log at offset 3, it started again as if at
> 00:03:00, and the correct hard-timed news start event fired at 0200
> GMT.  Then I went back to bed.

I'd like to suggest that, for the long term, this be fixed.

"Fixed", in this case, means acknowledging that schedule-timed events
*must include a timezone in their timestamp*, since, then, you don't
have a problem:

015959 EST is followed by 030000 EDT and
015959 EDT is then followed by 010000 EST

Since each of these translates monotonically into UTC, no problems.

I realize this won't happen in 1.0... but it should happen sooner,
rather than later.

Cheers,
-- jra