[RDD] Considering 2 very different hardware platforms for new rdAirPlay machines....

Bill Putney billp at wwpc.com
Fri May 19 14:38:38 EDT 2017

Kirk,

Can we assume you are using LiveWire for audio interfaces?

I'm building a mobile studio Rivendell standalone using a Qutom fanless
with a 2.0 GHz quad-core Intel Celeron processor, 8GB of memory, 16GB of
SSD and 1 - 10/100/1G Ethernet. They consume 10W at 12VDC and they come
with a US power supply. I'm buying them right from Qotom in China. The
price was $175 plus shipping from China ($26 + $9 transfer fee). You can
get lots of different add-ons but this configuration should be plenty
for a client. Since there are no moving parts it should last until the
capacitors dry out.

I think the NUCs of an equivalent horsepower are a little more money but
they should work as clients.

For my mobile studio I'm using a USB3 3TB disk drive to store the audio.
I have an Asus touch screen to attach to it. Should be a fun box. For
the mobile studio I can't use LiveWire so I'm going with a Pevey USB-P
to interface to the mobile studio's analog board.

The Optiplex computers are really enterprise class. You could just
replace the disks with SSD's and replace the fans. There's plenty of
horsepower in the Optiplexs. People are running Rivendell on Raspberry Pi's.

Bill Putney - WB6RFW
Chief Engineer
KPTZ - Port Townsend, WA

PP-SEL/A&P-IA