[RDD] Considering 2 very different hardware platforms for new rdAirPlay machines....

Kirk Harnack kirk at harnack.com
Fri May 19 13:50:57 EDT 2017

Dear braintrust,

Please direct me elsewhere if this has been discussed and answered already;
I'm new to this list.

I'm currently running 5 radio stations, using Rivendell in a server/client
setup.  The client machines (running rdAirPlay) are some refurbished Dell
Optiplex PCs.  They're now almost 3 years older than when we put them
online in this role.  No serious issues yet, but I feel they're getting old
and they're perhaps a bit underpowered.

I'm considering going in one of two directions.

1. Using refurbished Dell R610 server-grade hardware.  Nice-looking ones
are about $200 on ebay, with all the rack-mount hardware.  They sport dual
power supplies.  They come with one hard drive of 146 GB. I could add a 2nd
and RAID them.  They're very noisy, but they'll go in a rack room.  Hard to
imagine the noise of 5 of them, however.

2. Go with an Intel NUC-style platform.  No fans.  Likely enough
horsepower. Cost more (as they're new, not refurb); indeed, the ones I seem
to need are about $500 each. I would need to get NUCs that have 2 NICs, as
we use an Axia network in addition to our Rivendell network - and we keep
them separate.  Perhaps someone could point me to a known-good model that
costs closer to $200 or $300?

I like the robustness of the Dell R610's, they're easy availability, and
the likelihood of parts availability for some time.  I do not like the size
and noise.

I like the NUC-style machines for their low power consumption, quietness,
and that they'd be new.

As the role for these is simply to run rdAirPlay, grabbing files over the
network from the rdServer, seems the hard drive doesn't need to be large.

Thoughts?

Thanks!

Kirk

--