[RDD] Please fix this bug...

Rob Landry 41001140 at interpring.com
Wed May 17 08:25:38 EDT 2017

Doing *any* updates on a working on-air Rivendell system introduces the
possibility of putting you off the air.

That's because the people working on the various packages that go into
CentOS don't know about Rivendell and don't test the effect of their
updates on Rivendell. Most of the time, you will be OK, but the
possibility of an update breaking Rivendell exists, and if you do updates
regularly, sooner or later you'll run into an update that breaks it.

There are two ways to insure you don't get put off the air by an update.
You can test each update on a duplicate Rivendell machine that is not on
the air, and only after verifying that it doesn't break Rivendell on that
machine, apply it to your on-air machine; or you can decide that since
your machine is secure enough on its private network and not exposed to
the public Internet, you don't need to do updates at all. Myself, I prefer
the second approach, not fixing what isn't broken.

A few years ago, there was a company called Nassau Broadcasting Partners.
It was the biggest broadcaster in New England and owned, if I remember
right, 52 stations. Nassau standardized on one of the more user-friendly
Windows-based automation systems and began deploying it to all their
stations. Now, this particular system is written in the Java programming
language, and one day a jock in one of Nassau's stations noticed a message
at the bottom of his screen that said: "A new version of Java is ready to
be installed." He clicked on it, most likely just to make it go away, and
the new Java version was duly installed.

And then he began hearing stuttering and dropouts on the air. The station
became unlistenable, and the usual things Windows users do ("have you
tried turning it off and on again?") didn't help. Nassau's engineering
team spent days trying to figure out what had gone wrong; it turned out
that the automation system had been developed, tested, and deployed with
one particular version of Java, and the new version was different enough
to alter some critical timings and break the automation system.

Neither Java developers nor Windows developers know anything about radio
automation systems, and neither do Linux kernel developers. Therefore, one
must beware of any update unless one knows for sure it will do no harm.

Rob

--
Я там, где ребята толковые,
Я там, где плакаты "Вперёд",