[RDD] Log Locking

Wayne Merricks merricks.wayne at googlemail.com
Mon Jun 26 07:55:16 EDT 2017

Just to weigh in on the technical side as someone who has both programmed
software that does this and also someone on the help desk that dealt with
other software.

Nothing is perfect.

Things that can break a software lock:

* Computer crash or shutdown as already noted.
* User starts working and goes to lunch/a meeting/whatever
* Database server restarted/crashed (most clients can end up in a weird
state at this point).

Things that seem like a good idea:

* Implement a 30minute time out.
* Allow IT to override the lock outs.
* Allow "more important" staff to override the locks.

Why they're not:
* User goes to lunch etc and lock times out/overridden and then all their
work is lost.  Bonus points if the work lost was by some of the more
awkward/higher ranking staff members.
* You get to watch the arguments for the third one which can be amusing.

Having said all of this, having a lock option of any sort and understanding
the problems it may cause is probably a good choice to have for some sites.

Regards,

Wayne