[RDD] RDP, NX, or what-have-you, with sound redirection?

Keith Thelen kthelen at kanabec.net
Wed Jun 7 12:39:54 EDT 2017

On Jun 7, 2017, at 10:04 AM, Rob Landry <41001140 at interpring.com> wrote:

> If you don't have the bandwidth, it's not likely any other solution you can imagine would work, as you'd still be streaming audio in real time across the Internet, and it's hard to imagine a method of decreasing the bandwidth of that stream that wouldn't delay it, making it no longer in real time.

I know there’s going to be some delay… my wild guess/expectation would be somewhere around 1-2sec, since that’s what I’ve experienced with similar things on other platforms (RDP, TeamViewer, etc).

For my purposes, it just needs to work, be reliable, and be simple for the end user. Some delay is acceptable. Reduced audio quality (ie. obvious lossy compression) is acceptable. The user just needs to be able to preview their segues after dropping pre-recorded voicetracks into place.

Things like xrdp (which would be an ideal example, since every Windows machine ships with a compatible client) talk about audio redirection support, but I don’t find many details… most of what I find is related to the Windows machine being the server and source of audio, and the Linux machine being the client. It also seems most such things are designed to work with pulseaudio, further complicating things.

As for redirecting /var/snd: there’s not nearly enough bandwidth in this scenario. (FWIW, I am using that technique at a different stage here. I’ve created a VM for each remote user, each with access to the common database and /var/snd directory. To actually be useful, each of those VMs also needs to offer screen sharing - easily accomplished - and a way to send Rivendell’s audio output to the user simultaneously, compressed and likely at a low bitrate.)

-----
Keith Thelen