[RDD] RDP, NX, or what-have-you, with sound redirection?

Keith Thelen kthelen at kanabec.net
Tue Jun 6 13:45:05 EDT 2017

I'm trying to find a way to provide remote access to a Rivendell machine *with audio redirection* from said machine to the remote access client, in a way that’s not cumbersome for the person doing the remote controlling.

The idea is to provide off-site talent with an easy way of placing their voicetrack files. This would be happening over a VPN, with the underlying links being the usual Internet connections, and clients being typical end-user PCs.

I had a few ideas of how to accomplish this, but so far I've found a hitch in every method I've considered. Since I’m not really up on the current state of things, I figured I’d ask: who’s doing what to accomplish this today?

My feeling is that, since things like xrdp and freenx seem to support pulseaudio, the key may be to get Rivendell to feed pulse. But I don’t know much about it.

Simply placing entries in my asound.conf with “type pulse” clearly didn't do anything useful, and I really don’t want to overcomplicate things by trying to involve JACK (seems JACK can talk to both Rivendell and pulse, but that seems like an ugly solution). So, before I go reinventing the wheel…?

-----
Keith Thelen