[RDD] Hashing the audio store [WAS: Rivendell v2.16.0]

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Fri Jun 2 11:26:51 EDT 2017

On Jun 2, 2017, at 10:33, Bill Putney <billp at wwpc.com> wrote:

> Thank you Fred!

Thank *you*!  (For those not in the know, this concept of using hashes to create an audio recovery mechanism was originally Bill’s idea).

> Does the update automagically to add a hash to the db for preexisting audio files or do we have to run a routine to do that?

For existing audio, the hashes are generated automatically, in the background.  The process runs at very low priority so as to avoid impacting real-time performance, so it may take several days before a large audio store is fully hashed.  You can see the hash value for a particular cut by doing RDLibrary->Edit and then scrolling to the extreme right end of the cut’s entry in the Cut List (in the ’SHA1’ column).  If that entry reads ‘[not available]’, that means that the cut has not been hashed yet.

You can force the process to happen more quickly by using rddbcheck(8) with the --rehash switch, but be warned: doing so can place a very heavy load on the system, to the point where it can impact other operations.  Details are in the rddbcheck(8) man page.