[RDD] Remote "Board Op" from within RDAirPlay

drew Roberts zotzbro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 17:27:53 EDT 2017

Rob,

thank you for your input.

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 4:41 PM, Rob Landry <41001140 at interpring.com> wrote:

> What you describe is similar to the way one of our stations handles red
> Sox baseball games. We have a script that loads the game log, plays an
> intro cart, and joins the satellite feed; we have another script that plays
> local breaks, a third script that returns to the game at the end of the
> break, and a fourth that unloads the log at the endof the game, reloads the
> daily log, and resumes normal programming.
>
> In the case of a remote, though, I would switch to a live feed (Barix box?
> Comrex BRIClink?) fromt he remote site,

Right now we are looking at James Harrison's OpenOB. It sounds quite good
with the opus codec on the voice only feed.

I have yet to figure the switching bit out. Right now it is live all the
time the remote is sending and if we have to we will control it with a mic
that has a switch.

> and I'd have a laptop at the remote site VNC'd via ssh into the Rivendell
> system at the studio, giving the talent the ability to push the Sound
> Paanel buttons.

We are doing this. (Well, nothing is on the air yet, we are doing this on
some test machines.

> He or she would have a mixer and the ability to control his/her level,
> with the bed levels back at the studio preset.

This is planned.

We are actually looking at a remote setup that could connect to the
internet via wired ethernet, wifi, or 3g/4g data to get back to the studio.

> I wouldn't try to upload audio files from the remote.

Like I said to Tim, we have played with that in the past but never gone
onair with that system. This time we want to try going "live" from the
remote location.

all the best,

drew