[RDD] Remote "Board Op" from within RDAirPlay

drew Roberts zotzbro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 17:20:30 EDT 2017

Lorne,

thank you for your answer.

On Thu, Jun 1, 2017 at 12:02 PM, Lorne Tyndale <ltyndale at tyndaleweb.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think you're making this more difficult then it needs to be.

Possibly.

> What I'd do:
>
> -Have the audio coming from your remote on a separate channel on your
> console in your on-air studio

We want to be able to do this in an air studio that does not have a working
console.

> -Have that channel set up so that Rivendell can turn that remote channel
> on / off via GPIO's

I am looking at learning the local audio card switcher functionality to see
if I can do things that way.

> -For your remote site gear, since you're going to have a computer
> already (to be able to see the on-air machine RDAirplay via VNC) use a
> Linux box, install a "remote" copy of Rivendell on it that includes your
> music bed audio
>

> -At your remote site connect your mic and your "remote computer" audio
> into a small mixer

We are planning on doing this.

> (or if you use something like a Tieline
> Commander/iMix or Comrex Access with the mixer add on, just use the
> inputs on that).  If needed you can usually find inexpensive Bheringer
> or Mackie's that have 4 to 8 channels that'll work for this type of
> application

We are currently looking at a small Behringer USB mixer.

> When you want to go live from the remote site, you can have the remote
> computer send the RML back to your studio computer to trigger your GPO
> to turn on your "remote" channel.

I had not considered doing this remotely. I was doing the RML on the
airplay machine via panel buttons. I will have to ponder this.

>   It can stop your playout from the
> on-air studio Rivendell system or you could even have it set up that
> when you want to go live from remote it'll insert an item with a "stop"
> as the next item in the log (that is if you don't want to schedule the
> breaks in the log before the remote, which might be easier).

I have made some improvements today from where I started this morning.

I have one button that inserts a macro "next" in the playing log. When the
macro runs, it puts the machine in LiveAssist mode. It then starts the bed
music. It then stops the log machine (I think this is redundant as I should
already be in live assist mode.) It then sleeps for a bit. I had to add the
sleep bit because the next item in the log was being "eaten."

>   Do the
> mixing of the voice / bed at the remote site with the mixer you have
> there (you can have that audio on the remote site's Rivendell box) and
> send all that audio back to your studio.

I will try this. I am not sure we want the bed being compressed and
uncompressed on the link.

>   When you want the studio to
> resume playout send another RML down the pipe to turn the "remote"
> channel back off and do a Play Next in Rivendell.  Your audio starts
> back up coming from your on-air Rivendell machine.

Again, I have a button on the sound panel to do this.  This button puts the
machine back into Automatic mode. It then starts the next cart in the log.
It then fades the bed down. It then stop the bed playing.

> The biggest concern would be if your network drops for some reason - you
> could end up with dead air.  But the same situation could happen with
> the setup you've described below.  As a backup it might be an idea to
> tie it all into a silence detector which would - after a certain amount
> of time - send your on-air machine a "play next" command in the event
> that something like that happens.

Thank you for this idea of the silence detector. I will have to figure out
how to do it. If I have a looping bed or a long enough bed, I would not
want to detect silence on the rdairplay output. I think I would need to
detect it on the incoming audio from the remote site.

I think if I figure the switcher stuff out, I will need to grab the remote
input on remote start and release it on remote end.

all the best,

drew