[RDD] Remote "Board Op" from within RDAirPlay

drew Roberts zotzbro at gmail.com
Thu Jun 1 11:16:31 EDT 2017

Hi,

I am looking for thoughts on possible ways to do this.

Let's say we go on a remote and have no one in the air studio.

We can remote into (say vnc over an ssh tunnel) the rdairplay machine to
control things.

We can monitor the broadcast signal from an FM receiver at the remote
location.

We can set a music bed on an RDAirPlay sound panel button.
We can set a music bed on an RDPanel sound panel button.
We can set a music bed in an RDCartSlot cart slot.

We can set up a macro to go to a remote break and put it on  an RDAirPlay
sound panel button.
We can set up a macro to come back from a remote break and put it on  an
RDAirPlay sound panel button.

Consider:

a macro with this command:

RN /home/rduser/goremote.sh!

will fire the following bashscript

#!/bin/bash
# goremote.sh
# rml commands to go to start a remote

rmlsend PS\ 1\!
rmlsend PP\ S1\ 1\ 1\!

and:

a macro with this command:

RN /home/rduser/endremote.sh!

will fire the following bashscript

#!/bin/bash
# endremote.sh
# rml commands to go to end a remote

rmlsend PT\ S1\ 1\ 1\!
rmlsend PN\ 1\!

When you are ready to go to a break, you switch to LiveAssist mode and
click on the goremote button on the sound panel in rdairplay when the
current cart is almost over. the cart will end and the music bed will start.

When you are ready to end the remote segment, you switch to Automatic mode
and click on the endremote button on the sound panel in rdairplay.

Crude and nasty but it can kind of work.

***IMPORTANT*** This currently ignores the very important issue of how we
get the remote audio into rdairplay to play over the top of the music bed
in the first place but that is for a later discussion.

To make this better:

1. How can we FADE DOWN the LOG machine and FADE UP the BED when going into
the remote break?
2. How can we loop the bed so that we can use a shorter audio file in the
BED cart? (If we cannot do this, we will need a bed that is longer than any
break we will ever have.
3. How can we FADE DOWN the BED and FADE UP the LOG machine when coming out
of the remote break?

What questions should I be asking that I am not?
What are better ways to do this?

Would it be better to put the macro carts for going into and out of the
breaks into the log in the correct spot rather than firing manually from
the sound panel?

Etc.

all the best,

drew