[RDD] I am starting to hate USB

Wayne Merricks waynemerricks at thevoiceasia.com
Thu May 26 12:00:43 EDT 2016

How do you get on if you use something like screen to talk to the
serial connection directly?

The broadcast tools switchers have very simple serial commands you can
use so Riv is not strictly necessary.

I use this:

http://rivendell.tryphon.org/wiki/Switchers#Unsupported_Switchers

Then I have macros that instead of doing ST 0 1 2, I just run my script
instead (RN 1 2).  If you're already using a script to remap the USB
then using screen like this might work:

screen -fn -L -d -m -S switcher /dev/ttyUSB0 9600 (<- connect to the
port do this after you remap)
screen -S switcher -X stuff *0012  (<- send input 01 to output 2)