[RDD] I am starting to hate USB

Rob Landry 41001140 at interpring.com
Thu May 26 10:47:22 EDT 2016

WCRI has a Rivendell machine that uses a USB-to-serial converter to talk
to a Broadcast Tools audio switcher. The machine occasionally "forgets"
the USB-to-serial converter (which is normally /dev/ttyUSB0) and then
wakes up and remaps it as /dev/ttyUSB1.

Now, I have a udev rule in place that automatically creates a symlink o
whatever device the converter gets mapped as... but if it gets remapped
while rdairplay is running, rdairplay can't talk to the switcher until I
stop and restart the Rivendell service.

On Tuesday, I discovered that I could get around the problem by stopping
and restarting the ripcd daemon, so I set up a cron job to detect the
remapping of the USB-to-serial converter and autoatically stop and restart
ripcd.

That turned out to be a mistake; it seems to have caused rdairplay to lose
the ability to chain to the next day's log. Two days in a row the station
has gone silent at midnight, and we've had to load the log manually.

The only solution I can think of is to use a machine with an actual serial
port.

Have any of y'all enocuntered this issue? If so, how did you deal with it?

Rob

--
Я там, где ребята толковые,
Я там, где плакаты "Вперёд",