[RDD] Playback while recording

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Wed May 11 11:28:09 EDT 2016

On May 10, 2016, at 23:33, Lorne Tyndale <ltyndale at tyndaleweb.com> wrote:

> Regarding starting playout of a cut after starting to record into it
> (playout while recording)
>
> I just tried this, and I think the last time I tried this was on the
> pre-version 2.x of Rivendell (1.x.x).  I seem to recall it working in
> the past.

Yes, and it still does now (v2.13.0).  There are however a couple of caveats about this feature:

1) Normalization and auto trim for the recording must both be turned off.  That’s because the implementation of those features requires two processing passes: one to capture the audio, and a second to analyze the results and reprocess the initial capture into the final file.  Hence, the recorded data is not available to the Library until the entire cut has been recorded.

2) When playing a cut while it is being recorded, the effective length of the cut will be that of the previous contents of that cut.  This is a side-effect of how the log logic works in RDAirPlay; all cuts *must* have a length that is known at the time the play-out begins.