[RDD] Playback while recording

Lorne Tyndale ltyndale at tyndaleweb.com
Tue May 10 23:33:35 EDT 2016

Regarding starting playout of a cut after starting to record into it
(playout while recording)

I just tried this, and I think the last time I tried this was on the
pre-version 2.x of Rivendell (1.x.x).  I seem to recall it working in
the past.

I just tried it on Rivendell 2.12.0 with an m-audio Delta card, both
going through Jack and ALSA.  I may be missing something, but I don't
think I am. I've got normalization and auto trim off.

If there is no audio in the cut when the cut is added to rdairplay, then
it won't play anything if recording into the cut has already started but
the recording has not completed.

If there is audio in the cut, then it'll grab the length of audio that
is there, and only play that amount of audio even if the recording is
still ongoing.

I've found a similar experience when using RDCatch to do the playout
event.

I've tried this recording both through RDCatch and through the record
option in RDLibrary.  Found the same results each time I've tested.

For starting recording after you've started the playout - this works as
expected - the playout will continue to play the audio that was there
before you started the record.

I do recall this worked in Rivendell 1.x.x, but I have not tried this
feature since then.

Lorne Tyndale