[RDD] USB audio woes

Lorne Tyndale ltyndale at tyndaleweb.com
Tue May 10 09:38:36 EDT 2016

Rob,

I've found that USB audio stuff is a hit or miss.  It can work reliably,
or it can cause more grief then it is worth.  Overall I prefer PCI /
PCIe based cards.

One issue that I ran into on one machine - the USB plugs were right next
to the power supply and would get hot.  After the system had run for a
while the USB device would lose connection, and then come back (get
re-found) with a different device number.

As best I can tell the power supply heat was causing the connectors in
the USB plug itself to warm up, expand / contract, and lose connection /
reconnect with the device.  I tested this once by pulling the power
supply out of the case (using another power supply with longer
connections), and the thing ran for a few days.  Then I warmed the USB
plug up with a hair dryer and the problem came back.

Lorne Tyndale