[RDD] USB audio woes

Rob Landry 41001140 at interpring.com
Tue May 10 06:37:02 EDT 2016

On Tue, 10 May 2016, Cowboy wrote:

> I've been ( on and off ) searching for a way to reset the USB buss
> without a reboot, and sometimes a hard reboot. The problem seems to be
> that while there are various "solutions" out there for resetting the
> kernel's idea of the USB buss, there seems to be nothing for resetting
> the BIOS idea of the USB buss without reloading BIOS, hence a reboot.

I have a computer deployed on Cape Cod that has a Stellar Labs 555-17815
balanced USB audio interface that is driving me nuts. The machine is in a
studio and is used to run RDAirplay and RDPanel by DJ's. It is left idle
overnight, when the radio station is fed from a Rivendell machine at the
transmitter site, and often someoen will come into the studio, start
RDAirplay, and it won't play because Rivendell no longer sees the
interface. Stopping and restarting the Rivendell daemons fixes the
problem.

I have thought of running RDAirplay from a script that stops/restarts the
daemons before launching the program, but that requires root privileges,
and I don't want them running anything as root.

I am thinking of taking the machine out of service and substituting
something with a non-USB audio interface. Oddly, an identical machine off
Cape doesn't have the problem (why do weird, inexplicable problems always
happen on Cape Cod?).

> In your case, I'm wondering if you simply unplug the USB connector, wait
> a minute, and plug it back in, does that work ?

If the device gets its power from the USB connector, then yes, that
usually works.

However, one machine I'm saddled with has a Focusrite Scarlett 6x2 audio
interface that is powered externally. It won't be recognized by the OS
until it is power-cycled. Booting the computer or unplugging/replugging
the USB connector will not make the interface visible, only unplugging and
replugging the interface's AC power cord.

Rob

--
Я там, где ребята толковые,
Я там, где плакаты "Вперёд",