[RDD] Appliance Versions...

Wayne Merricks waynemerricks at thevoiceasia.com
Thu Jun 23 19:55:14 EDT 2016

I usually have Ubuntu 14.04 Server which is probably not much different
to Debian 8.  I don't use 16.04 for anything critical in house but
someone on the list wanted to use Rivendell on it and I didn't think it
would be too difficult to sort out (it isn't but the MySQL date/time
changes were unexpected and I still don't know why fonts won't respect
system settings).

I do have one exception, I use Mattermost for show message aggregation
(Email, Phones, Facebook and Twitter), it actually requires MySQL 5.6 or
5.7 for some stupid reason so that was my first foray into lets upgrade
14.04 oh crap everything broke (seriously everything, apache, mysql and
php all failed and thats all I had on this internal web server/dev
machine).  It was fairly trivial to fix but it certainly wasn't
something I expected to die.

In the past newer kernels for hardware support on client machines are
usually the only other reason I've used Ubuntu.

Mattermost is here if you want to check it out:
http://www.mattermost.org.  It is meant to be some sort of internal work
chat thing instead of using emails but I found it more useful as a radio
presenter aggregation screen.

I installed an XMPP (Phones) and Email plugin.  Then wrote my own one
for Facebook, it has really helped save us from death by dozens of
screens (Rivendell, Email, Facebook/Social, Phones, Video Mixing +
Autocue and random web site stuff for show purposes can eat through 5+
screens very easily).