[RDD] Synchronizing carts and logs

Tim Elwell telwell at pilotproductions.net
Tue Jun 14 20:46:55 EDT 2016

On 6/14/16 12:23 PM, Fred Gleason wrote:
> Likewise, we then extend Rivendell’s import tools (RDImport and
> RDLibrary) to parse this same data structure, thus giving us a
> high-fidelity path for transferring both audio and Rivendell cart/cut
> metadata between systems.

Fred, would it be possible then to allow the audio to change formats
between RD systems with this? For example, if your primary was WAV
audio, but you needed to export to a different system that was mp2,
would it be possible to export the data from the WAV primary station and
import it to the mp2 station with all the correct information? In my
brain it seems like it would, but that's getting outside my brain's
expertise level.

I have a use scenario that I've been trying to hash through for years
and years and haven't found a good way to make it work. We want the
primary in lossless wav format (so it can be used anywhere we have good
reliable and cheap access), but have instances due to distant, expensive
and slow connectivity that we need the smaller file sizes to transfer to
remote sites of mp2 and all stations have the same cart numbers for
easier log creation. So, it would be nice to set it up in the primary
wav system with all information and segue points (though, I'm not sure
the segues would calculate right between formats), etc done there, then
export the setup to the mp2 systems without having to keep two master
systems (1 wav, 1 mp2) so everything is the same. And yes, I know hard
drives are cheap, but connectivity in some places isn't, so transferring
8megs vs 40 megs makes a big difference when multiplied across many
songs each week.

Anyway, mostly still a curiosity at this point, but could make my life a
lot easier for a project I've been working on for a while.

Thanks for all the great work!

Tim