[RDD] Synchronizing carts and logs

drew Roberts zotzbro at gmail.com
Mon Jun 13 14:33:41 EDT 2016

Rob,

On Mon, Jun 13, 2016 at 2:26 PM, Rob Landry <41001140 at interpring.com> wrote:

> I had a discussion with a Rivendell user in western New Hampshire this
> morning -- not one of my clients -- who said he wished Rivendell had the
> ability to transfer files with metadata seamlessly from one server to
> another, as (he claims) Wide Orbit and NexGen do.

I am not sure about all metadata, but WO puts things like artist and title
in the file. When you import into another system, this comes along. (IIRC.)

> I mentioned that I wrote a couple of Perl scripts to do this (actually,
> one script handles files, while the other handles logs). I use the
> METADATA_DATETIME field in the CART table and the MODIFIED_DATETIME field
> in LOGS to determine which copy of a record is more recent, and synchronize
> accordingly. The only hitch is that it isn't possible to delete a log or
> cart, since the time stamp for a record is deleted with the record. If we
> need to delete something, we must delete it manually from both machines
> simultaneously. While that's not a problem with just two servers, it might
> be a challenge were we synchronizing a dozen of them.
>
> What concerns me is upgrading to new versions of Rivendell and the need to
> go through both scripts to see if any changes have been made to the CART,
> CUTS, LOGS, or *_LOG tables that might break the scripts.
>
> If a future database schema omits, say, METADATA_DATETIME, one or both
> scripts might break irreparably.
>
> Is there a better way to solve the synchronization problem (say, through
> the Web interface)?

My wish is that we could export to wav of flac or wavpack and have the
metadata put into the file from the db on export.

Then on import to another Riv system, that metadata would be stripped from
the file and put into the new system's db.

It would likely be good if we had the option to leave the file name as
cart_cut or change it to something like title_artist or artist_title.

> Doing a database backup/restore once a day and rsync'ing /var/snd, as some
> have suggested, is impractical.
>
> I am curious how other RD users have approached this problem.
>

> Rob

all the best,

drew
--