[RDD] Australia

Wayne Merricks waynemerricks at thevoiceasia.com
Sun Jun 12 10:14:20 EDT 2016

Hi,

I hear this phrase quite often and I hope I can get my point across
without stepping on anyone's toes or causing offence (it is certainly
not intended and I apologise in advance).

The main benefit to us as a radio station in the UK is not that
Rivendell is "just as great as a commercial software".  In many ways
Rivendell is above and beyond what we used to use.  Being open source
and with the RML plugins you get with Riv, we can make it do anything we
want and talk to any system we can dream up.  It also uses standard
database and file storage not some weird big blob of file that magically
stores it all (and then breaks shortening your life by at least 10 years
over the course of two weeks).

We have it plugged into our website, it is on internal serial
connections/GPIO lines and I'm currently working on a way of getting
now/next with appropriate youtube links into Facebook potentially for
the Facebook live stuff.  I'm also trying to get all of that working
with mattermost so I can aggregate the show comms rather than having
emails in this window, facebook here, phone stuff here, internal here
etc etc.

With the commercial offerings you just can't do this kind of thing.
You get your option in the preferences menu and if it is not the option
you want, tough.  You might be able to email the developers and wait to
buy the upgrade but that's the best case scenario.  Even better, you
won't wake up tomorrow to find that somebody decided to remove all the
stuff you use in Rivendell because it has to be in the app store and
used on tablets or Windows 10 only.

Even if Fred and the team did go crazy one day, you could just fork the
code on github and continue to use Rivendell the way you want to use it,
not the way a company says you have to use it.

It is a bit of a culture shock to go Linux if you've never messed with
it before but Paravel has tech support (and systems) you can use if you
need some extra help.

Anyway ramble mode off, enjoy what's left of your weekends or if you're
unlucky, Friday probably isn't too far away.

Regards,

Wayne