[RDD] A Tale of Two RDBMSes [WAS: Ubuntu 16.04 - and at the end the font...]

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Thu Jun 2 07:52:26 EDT 2016

On Jun 1, 2016, at 14:22, Rob Landry <41001140 at interpring.com> wrote:

> I think MariaDB got forked because someone suspected Oracle would take MySQL and make it closed source, as they did with OpenSolaris.

I’m sure.  However, doing so ‘preemptively’ as it were strikes me as being a bit rash (not to say paranoid).  It’s not like such a change is something that could be pushed into the distribution channels overnight.  Remember, all previous versions would retain the original dual GPL/Commercial licensing terms.  There’d be ample time to do a fork if-and-when such a move actually occurred.

> ...and here I am thinking SQL is SQL. I'm really surprised someone would alter the behavior of MySQL from one version to the next such that currently deployed applications break. That strikes me as unwise, unless Oracle's goal is to drive people away from MySQL.

You can actually make a pretty good argument that the changes bring MySQL more into line with the ANSI SQL standard.  The old behavior strikes me as being distinctly ‘hackish’.