[RDD] A Tale of Two RDBMSes [WAS: Ubuntu 16.04 - and at the end the font...]

Rob Landry 41001140 at interpring.com
Wed Jun 1 14:22:38 EDT 2016

On Wed, 1 Jun 2016, Fred Gleason wrote:

> Actually, it’s a major PITR.  I’d have been far happier if RHEL had stuck
> with stock MySQL.  That way, we could just fix this whole thing and move on.
>  As it is, we now have to test against *two* different RDBMSes.  I don’t
> understand the rationale for the whole MariaDB thing anyway.  “We don’t like
> Larry Ellison” is not a valid reason for forking one of the central pieces
> of FOSS infrastructure.

I think MariaDB got forked because someone suspected Oracle would take
MySQL and make it closed source, as they did with OpenSolaris.

...and here I am thinking SQL is SQL. I'm really surprised someone would
alter the behavior of MySQL from one version to the next such that
currently deployed applications break. That strikes me as unwise, unless
Oracle's goal is to drive people away from MySQL.

Rob

--
Я там, где ребята толковые,
Я там, где плакаты "Вперёд",