[RDD] A Tale of Two RDBMSes [WAS: Ubuntu 16.04 - and at the end the font...]

Fred Gleason fredg at paravelsystems.com
Wed Jun 1 08:55:09 EDT 2016

On Jun 1, 2016, at 07:13, Rob Landry <41001140 at interpring.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason why date/time columns in Rivendell are set to NOT NULL?

It’s a function of the database schema.  If the DB engine knows that specific fields can *never* be NULL, it allows for certain optimizations that can improve the speed of the query.  The problem right now is that MariaDB and the latest versions of MySQL have significantly different interpretations of what NULL actually means in date/time fields.  For the gory details, see:

	https://github.com/ElvishArtisan/rivendell/issues/121

> I suppose it's a good thing that the latest version of CentOS seems to come with MariaDB instead of MySQL.

Actually, it’s a major PITR.  I’d have been far happier if RHEL had stuck with stock MySQL.  That way, we could just fix this whole thing and move on.  As it is, we now have to test against *two* different RDBMSes.  I don’t understand the rationale for the whole MariaDB thing anyway.  “We don’t like Larry Ellison” is not a valid reason for forking one of the central pieces of FOSS infrastructure.

|  At the beginning of the week, we sealed ten BSD programmers into a  |
|  computer room with a single distribution of BSD Unix. Upon opening  |
|  the room after seven days, we found all ten programmers dead,       |
|  clutching each others' throats, and thirteen new flavors of BSD.    |
|                                       -- Anonymous                   |