[RDD] Ubuntu 16.04 Update (Seems OK now)

Wayne Merricks waynemerricks at thevoiceasia.com
Wed Jul 20 07:35:48 EDT 2016

Hi Fred/all,

Apologies for the delay, the current stable branch appears to be usable
with Ubuntu 16.04 provided you manually tweak MySQL.  There is still
oddness with QT fonts but that is most likely an Ubuntu and not a
Rivendell problem.

Since I last tried, DB upgrades  from 2.10.3 seem to work fine (I have
about 10,000 carts and its a system that has been running since 2012 in
one form or another).  We don't use 16.04 Riv in production here so
anyone thinking of using it be wary of potential for oddness but the
normal stuff all seems fine.

One thing I have found, adding a host to the DB produces a truncated error:

invalid SQL or failed DB connection[Data truncated for column
'INPUT_TYPE' at row 1 QMYSQL3: Unable to execute query]:

   insert into RDLIBRARY set
     INPUT_CARD=0,INPUT_PORT=0,INPUT_TYPE=0 ... STATION="ukriv005"

The record is added anyway so it is not a big issue but it boils down to
INPUT_TYPE being an ENUM (A, D).  This might just be stable branch churn
I'm not sure.

Please note, we don't use rdcatch, rdfeed or VTs here so I'm not really
sure if any of that is broken (it seems OK but I've not clicked every
option to try them out).

If you are planning a release soon, I'd say these changes are a good
place to start with Ubuntu, there is nothing obviously wrong that I can
find which is an improvement from barely working.

Regards,

Wayne