[RDD] Confirming a cart has been played to an external log

Robert Jeffares jeffares.robert at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 17:50:22 EDT 2016

Thanks Wayne,
just the nudge I needed to take an alternate look.

I set up a UDP RLM like this

[Udp1]
IpAddress=127.0.0.1
UdpPort=5861
FormatString=CART=%n BCTIME=%d(hh:mm)\n
Encoding=0
ProcessNullUpdates=1
MasterLog=Yes
Aux1Log=No
Aux2Log=No

Since I only want to get data for the one CART when it plays, I run nc
from within the shell script for as long as it takes.

# takes the udp output of RDAIRPLAY looks for line with CART
# adds it to log

nc -d -u -l 5861 |        (

while read -t 1800 REPLY; do

# time out set to 3 minutes in case cart gets bumped by time event
#REPLY is default output of read

   if [[ "$REPLY" == *"CART=002005"* ]]; then

     #when we get it peel of broadcast time and put it in log
     echo "${REPLY:(-13)}" > /home/rd/zexacary.log
     break
   fi

done
                                 )
exit 0

I could have set the CART as a variable; this is the quick and dirty.

The script carts and plays each item 3 times over 70 minutes.

The log gets emailed to me.
I had to use sed to get rid of the '\r' in the lines that are generated
by the UDP RLM so the data comes as a message not as an attachment.
I decided to run nc as needed. One less permanent process. Accurate
reporting when you have three up at any time.

It runs every 10 minutes. When there is a bulletin the script gives each
instance a unique ID so it is possible to have several info bulletins
running simultaneously. ' Weather events as they happen' play in a FIFO
series of snippets just often enough.
In this area we get 'weather bombs' about once every 18 months. Some are
supposed to be once in 20 and once in 50 year events.
When you get 200mm of rain in a few hours on the top of a steep sided
mountain range it's got two ways to flow and both of them are down.
The flat area at the bottom on both sides of a 50km ridge is between
500m and 2km from the ocean. When the rain hits the [king] high tide the
rivers back up and everything floods. First storm in a while it takes
time. The second one while everything is still wet is the jackpot.
We're in between a significant one and a follow up one right now!
It's never a question of if it's going to happen it's more where.
People who come on holidays and weekends, still insist on trying to
drive everywhere, ford flooded rivers, complain when the power goes out,
and wonder why it takes so log to get trucks and excavators past all
sorts of blockages to clear something outside their place.
The locals have an unkind name for such people.
I have had the playout script running for a while. Now I can produce a
log of actual broadcast times. This along with archive copies of all
announcements helps local Civil Defence demonstrate that they are doing
their best. Our CD media liason is an ex radio guy and when it's really
turning pear shaped delivers audio bulletins every 15 minutes.

Thanks again Wayne, and RD, keeping radio always on, always local.

regards
Robert

*Communication Consultants*
64 Warner Park Avenue