[RDD] newer linux kernel

Lorne Tyndale ltyndale at tyndaleweb.com
Wed May 6 09:57:32 EDT 2015

Hi Joey,

I'm not sure there is such a thing as the "newest" kernel and desktop
environment for Linux.  There are so many desktop environments available
for the Linux kernel, I would hesitate to guess how to even define
"modern".  Also some advice - when you're running Rivendell, you likely
want things to just plain work.  Sometimes for this you're better off
with an older kernel or environment, something that has been well tested
by many people and known to just plain work as designed.  Then if/when
there is a problem it is easier to rule out the kernel  / desktop
environment / etc.

Having said that, since you've indicated a limited knowledge of Linux
the best place to start is likely the Broadcast Appliance.  It has been
put together by Paravel and is probably the best option for a new
Rivendell user install.  It is also the option which Paravel will
support if you require paid phone support.

http://www.paravelsystems.com/appliance.html

Lorne Tyndale