[RDD] Switching main output between cards

Lorne Tyndale ltyndale at tyndaleweb.com
Sun Jun 28 16:50:37 EDT 2015

Hi,

The main reason that I see for being able to change things up on the fly
relate to situations I've directly encountered when troubleshooting /
fixing gear.

Consider: Rivendell is set to alternate playout between Channel A and
Channel B.  The console in your on-air studio develops a problem with
one of the channel modules that Rivendell uses.  If you happen to have a
modular console and if this were a feature you could run a macro that
tells Rivendell to only output to Channel A (or Channel B as
appropriate), then once there is nothing going through the channel that
has the difficulty, pop that channel out, repair it, and pop it back in
(or if you happen to have a spare channel module, pop your spare in).
Then tell Rivendell to go back to the A to B alternating sequence.  The
system will never miss a beat, no need to interrupt RDAirplay to fix
your console.

I've actually done this a number of times on another automation system
(I won't mention which one) that has the ability to change the channel
playout sequence on the fly.  It isn't one of those features that needs
to be used a lot, but when it is needed it sure is nice to have.

I agree that it is entirely possible (and quite simple) to do this type
of changeup with Jack.

Lorne Tyndale