[RDD] Rivendell-dev Digest, Vol 26, Issue 8

James L. Stewart jstewart at paceaudio.com
Tue Jun 9 19:18:31 EDT 2015

Yea, this seems really nice!

My biggest concern is using the audio out that is built into the Pi.  I
think I was reading somewhere that it doesn't even do 16-bit resolution
and it kind of sounds like it doesn't as I hear some low level
"fuzziness" riding on the audio, especially at low levels.  I have had
great success so far plugging outboard USB sound devices into the Pi.
The advantage here is that you can get one that actually has balanced
out and can actually do +4 db levels too, which you won't be able to do
directly off the Pi's audio.  On top of that you would likely get a set
of balanced inputs as well (sometimes even proper mic levels with
optional phantom power!), so you could make the unit bi-directional
(might need a Pi-2 for this so not to run out of processing power).
True, some of the units from M-audio and others are a bit pricey but
I've seen a lot of cheaper things from time to time that seem to work
just fine too.

Of course if you add too much cost, then you start bumping up against
the price of some of the BARIX brand commercially produced streamers,
but I guess they get pricey once you move up to a balanced out model.