[RDD] Fade down the current event; start the next one

Rob Landry 41001140 at interpring.com
Thu Jul 23 17:08:05 EDT 2015

I tried that, but the previous song didn't fade; it cut off abruptly. I
was looking for a more elegant sound than suddenly cutting off the music.

Several decades ago, my old college radio station had a policy about
interrupting pieces of music:

The normal policy was always to allow a piece of music to play in its
entirety. A breaking news story could wait, unless it was something
listeners needed to know immediately. The assassination of a President,
for instance, would merit gently fading the music out and switching to
live coverage.

If a tornado, or something equally life-threatening, were bearing down on
the community, we were to "flack" the music off the air -- cut it off
abruptly -- as a way to get the listeners' attention (this was before
EAS). Only in such an urgent situation were we allowed, and indeed
commanded, to do it.

Rob