[RDD] Fade down the current event; start the next one

Rob Landry 41001140 at interpring.com
Thu Jul 23 15:33:54 EDT 2015

I spent a fair amount of time yesterday trying to fade out of an event and
start the next one. The goal is to end each hour by fading down whatever
is playing, play a series of pips a la the BBC, then run the top-of-hour
ID.

The following should have worked, but didn't:

PS 1 3000!
SP 5000!
PN 1!

rdairplay will fade down the current event and stop.

I then tried MD commands to fade down without stopping and then fade up
quikly after starting the next event. rdairplay would fade down but never
fade back up.

The strange thing was that everything worked perfectly if I test-ran the
macro in rdlibrary.

I eventually hit on putting all the RML commands in a shell script called
"fadedown.sh", and putting "RN /home/nowplayd/rml.fadedown.sh!" in a
macro.

That works perfectly, at least in RD 2.10.3.

This information is provided for anyone else who might be wrestling with
the problem.

Rob