[RDD] Syncing Riv between sites

Rob Landry 41001140 at interpring.com
Tue Jul 21 00:18:25 EDT 2015

I am using two Perl scripts, rdsyncaudio.pl and rdsynclogs.pl, to
propagate addidions/changes/deletions of audio files and logs from a
master Rivendell system to one or more subordinate systems.

In one case, the client has a system in Framingham, MA that serves two
stations and another system at a transmitter site on Cape Cod. Changes to
the Framingham system have to propagate to Cape Cod.

Another client had a system at his studio in Exeter,
RI; another at a transmitter site in Hope Valley, RI; and a third system
at another transmitter site on Block Island. He sold the Hope Valley
station, so now there are only two sites to keep in synch.

In both cases, one system serves as the master. Its changes are propagated
to the other sites. Any changes made at the other sites would be undone,
as the master site is assumed to have the most recent changes.

If we ever needed to synchronize changes made at a transmitter site back
to the studio, that would be a problem, as all the database records would
have to carry timestamps so the script could tell which was the newest.
Presently it can only see that site A differs from site B, and assume that
since site A is the master it needs to make site B conform to site A.

Rob