[RDD] network slowdown

Wayne Merricks waynemerricks at thevoiceasia.com
Mon Jul 20 06:00:41 EDT 2015

Hi,

Lets go back a step.  What happens if you statically set your network
settings on a random "hanging" PC?

E.g.

Lets assume your current network is something like:

192.168.1.1 <-- Smoothwall gateway/dhcp/dns thingy

It dishes out IPs from lets say 192.168.1.100 - 192.168.1.200

In that IP it will set the gateway/dns to 192.168.1.1

Lets assume our test PC is 192.168.1.101.

Statically set:

IP: 192.168.1.101
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS: 127.0.0.1

Under linux open up /etc/hosts.  On Windows, run notepad as admin and
open up c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc

Either Linux or Windows, this is the same.  The Format is to just add a
line for every IP you normally resolve:

E.g.

192.168.1.10    fileserver
192.168.1.20    webserver
192.168.1.30    rivendell

Save the file and quit.

You will have to disconnect and reconnect your network to pick up the
changes (I think Windows will change when you press OK on the network
properties box).  Linux you can do the usual sudo ifdown eth0 && sudo
ifup eth0.

Then try pinging fileserver etc.  It will use the local hosts file for
DNS so you shouldn't have any slow down unless you have mapped/mounted
drives that resolve with server names.

If so make sure you add that server name to the hosts file.

Finally,  I don't think this will be the case but if you have set up
VLANs it may be that your file wall is responsible for routing between
VLANs  so this could be where your problem lies.

FYI Firewalls, pfsense.org, its brilliant.  Its BSD based but the web
interface is easy to understand, it can run off a USB stick and use your
spinning disks for web caching.  I've been using it for 5 or 6 years and
its rock solid.  It can also do VPNs, VLANs, proxying, logging, AV
scanning, failover (if you have more than one box or one box with more
than one internet connection).

Wayne Merricks
The Voice Asia