[RDD] network slowdown

drew Roberts zotzbro at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 15:35:53 EDT 2015

Hey Andy,

Not sure what the actual problem is, but it is a simple thing to set up a
small dhcp/dns server on a box and turn of that function on the current
gateway...

On Sun, Jul 19, 2015 at 1:52 PM, VE4PER / Andy <ve4per at aim.com> wrote:

> I have small private network with a dedicated firewall. The firewall PC
> uses reserved addresses to  assign to any workstations
> on the private LAN with pre-established MAC addresses; sort of like auto
> dhcp services which in effect emulates the use of static IP addresses on
> the LAN. This has worked fine for years now.
>
> The problem lies when I wish to switch off the cable modem/ISP feed and
> just operate using the internal lan alone. Any workstation, whether windows
> or linux based gets hung up when programs like windows explorer, linux file
> manager, nautilus, or dolphin or any of the open/save as dialogs are
> activated.
>
> It appears there is some sort of dns problem that is occurring when the
> www is disconnected. Although the firewall pc normally works as some sort
> of caching dns server emulator, it is only when the www is connected live
> to the firewall's www feed input.
>
> What I am looking for is a suggestion to set up some sort of internal lan
> dns functioning that will allow normal LAN operation to be unhindered when
> the www feed is turned off or fails.
>
> All machines have identical hosts/ hosts.sam files and all search hosts
> files first then dns; gateways are assigned as first dns server to use, and
> then local ISP dns is secondary and finally open source or public dns
> servers like google's are lowest priorities in this process.
>
> I have tried using bind9 on my local net's main server box but it didn't
> seem to help to resolve whatever missing handshake was causing the hang ups
> with the file manager programs when the www feed was turned off.
>
> Can anyone help here? Can't tell if I had bind 9 set up with wrong or
> missing setting or whether dns was even the root cause of the problem in
> the first place.

OK, I will make some assumptions that may be very wrong but should still
illustrate the point with simple to get adjustments.

Let's say your network is:

192.168.1.0/24

dedicate firewall router has an internal address of:

192.168.1.1

Let's say that 192.168.1.2 is currently free.

Set up a small box and give it that address. i.e. 192.168.1.2
Set this new box up with dnsmasq.

dnsmasq is fairly simple software that can serve up dhcp addresses as you
need and can do dns for you as well. You can set it up to give specific ip
addresses to specific mac addresses.

even though 192.168.1.2 is to give out the ip addresses, it can tell the
machines that the default gateway is 192.168.1.1

turn off dhcp on the current router/firewall at 192.168.1.1

release and renew the leases on your other boxes. make sure things are
working correctly for you.

if not, shut down 192.168.1.2, restart the dhcp server on 192.168.1.1 and
seek further help.

> Thanks
> Andy

all the best,