[RDD] Rivendell Running on Raspberry Pi 2

Wayne Merricks waynemerricks at thevoiceasia.com
Thu Jul 2 11:54:31 EDT 2015

Hi all,

Just to give a counter impression.  I've had 3 Pis in production (not
on air) doing minor tasks around the office for the best part of 3
years.  1 runs a custom java app as a clocking in / out system, the
second is an internal play out speaker feed from the studios and the 3rd
I fiddle with every now and then trying out different ideas (I have a
4th at a remote station in a 1U case since about 2 months ago).

The first two had been running for nearly 2 solid years.  I have never
had a technical fault reason to mess with them.  In fact the last time I
turned the java app off was because it was quicker for me to deploy an
update to the program and just pull the power (reboot and auto start the
program) than sit down and remember how to quit the program and then the
java -jar options to run it again.

 From a moving parts perspective they seem to be more reliable than PCs
with spinning disks/fans and power supplies.  I really have had no
problem with their reliability.  I have had audio glitches from the
internal card so if you are using it for audio plug in a decent USB
sound card.

If anyone is on the fence about using Pis because of perceived
reliability, it really isn't a problem that should concern you.  Just
use the things, especially with the Pi2 now.  The old CPU was weak but
by all accounts the 2 is very usable.

Regards,

Wayne