[RDD] Rivendell Running on Raspberry Pi 2

Brian theturtle32 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 2 11:25:47 EDT 2015

Yes, Pi's aren't necessarily the most reliable platform. Though my
impression is that the build quality and reliability has improved quite a
bit since their initial release a few years ago. In particular, the Pi 2
has been much more stable for me. Granted, I'm not using hundreds of them
in the field.

The upside, regardless, is that the insanely low cost means you can
sprinkle these things around like candy for redundancy without even hardly
blinking an eye.  You could easily have a standby in your primary on-air
studio, and should something go wrong with the first one, just switch over
to the second one and pick up where you left off.

Another option, as you pointed out, Marc, would be to use a Pi as a remote
X11 display for RDAirPlay running in a VM on a racked server with AoIP
drivers. Or use VNC, etc. The cost savings isn't as substantial, since
you're still shelling out for a server with enough processing horsepower to
comfortably run potentially multiple VM instances with mission-critical
playout responsibilities... but then even if the Pis crash and burn,
RDAirPlay will continue running unaffected. In that scenario, you'd only
lose your UI. Granted, that could also be bad if you're running in Manual
or LiveAssist mode, but since RDAirPlay would still be running on the
server, you could just use another machine or a laptop to reconnect to VNC
and you're good to go again in a matter of a couple minutes. Especially if
you plan for that scenario ahead of time and have a simple procedure in
place for people to follow in the event that something does go wrong.

Even if the procedure is to pull the cables from one Pi and plug them into
the backup Pi that has an identically cloned SD card, that would be simple
enough even for most non-technical people to manage. Especially in the
scrappy underdog stations where everyone has to wear multiple hats and
handle unexpected situations more regularly. And the worst-case downtime
would probably be about 4 to 8 minutes from the time the decision was made
to fail over to the backup.

Also, if you start looking at other similar platforms besides the Raspberry
Pi – like BeagleBone for example – you can find similar options that would
solve the problem a little bit more reliably, while being only slightly
more expensive. The BeagleBone Black with Debian pre-installed goes for $55
– only $15 more than the Raspberry Pi 2 – with no SD card needed.

IMO these types of setup could be a fantastic option for community-run
stations, college stations, student-run stations, or commercial stations in
smaller markets... basically any station that wants a modern, quality,
up-to-date automation platform, but can't justify either the hardware or
software costs involved with installing/maintaining/upgrading traditional
commercial options. Sadly, I'm sure we're all aware of wonderful little
stations that have to fight almost just to keep the lights on and end up
with vulnerable Windows XP installations, just because they can't afford
the basic maintenance cost of upgrading their installed base of 8+ year old
machines.

That is the context in which I think this kind of solution is a more
immediately compelling option. For larger commercial media companies who
operate tens or hundreds of stations, I suspect that it's not going to be
as appealing because the reliability downsides we just discussed could
potentially become orders of magnitude more frustrating for the engineering
staff to deal with at that scale.

On the other hand, perhaps Google's well-established data center
implementations exclusively using cheap, low-end, commodity PC components
might suggest otherwise? Though I suspect that those efficiency gains are
only reached at a larger scale, when you have the resources to build out
and implement the staff, policies, and procedures necessary to manage a
system that's fundamentally built on unreliable components.

At the end of the day, I suspect that using inexpensive components like
Raspberry Pis will provide the best cost/benefit tradeoffs for small
stations that have to make every dollar count.

Brian