[RDD] different formats in /var/snd

Lorne Tyndale ltyndale at tyndaleweb.com
Sun Jan 18 14:25:16 EST 2015

Hi,

I'm sure someone else on this list can add their input, but with the 2.x
branch of Rivendell I don't think it matters if you have a mixed MP2 /
PCM library.  If you're running with an ASI card then the encoding /
decoding to / from MP2 is done on the ASI card's hardware.  If you are
running a non-ASI sound card, then the encoding / decoding to / from MP2
is done by the computer through the libraries and dependencies in the
OS.

The big thing is to make sure everything is the same sample rate.  If
you're set to 48000 then all the audio needs to be 48000.  If you're
44100 then it all needs to be 44100.  You can't mix it.

The other thing I've run into is that with some audio cards when running
ALSA or Jack, I find I sometimes have to specify the sample rate for the
card in /etc/asound.conf (specifying the sample rate that I'm using in
Rivendell).  This is unrelated to MP2 / PCM in the library.

As an additional note I've got a Rivendell machine that I normally use
as a jukebox in my home work area, I also have used it for doing demos
of Rivendell for people.  It has a mixed WAV / MP2 library (it is about
50-50 mixed format).  I've never had any problems with audio not playing
correctly, and it has a cheap soundblaster card and another cheap
C-Media based card.

Lorne Tyndale