[RDD] A few modifications I'm considering (long)

Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni lists at prometoys.net
Mon Jan 5 05:26:41 EST 2015

Hi Keith,

Am Freitag, den 02.01.2015, 08:29 -0600 schrieb Keith Thelen:

> ### RDAirplay Default Clock Mode (12/24) ###
>
> Setting this variable to “12” would cause the 12-hour clock to be the
> initial selection when RDAirplay is started. Setting it to “24”, to
> some invalid value, or not specifying any value, would retain the
> current behavior (24-hour clock on launch).

I would be fine with a checkbox in the RDAirplay Settings.

> ### Cart Unload Delay ###
>
> Currently, carts immediately disappear from the log machine once they finish playing.
>
> Setting this variable to something other than zero would cause a pause
> of n milliseconds to be inserted between the end of the cart’s
> transition and its disappearance from the log machine.

Why not let the last play out cart lets stay without any timeout. So you
could read easily title and artist of the last played song. Instead of
Start/Stop button there could be a grey "hide" button.

> The modification would only apply when the log machine is in LiveAssist
> or Manual mode. Automatic mode would not be affected.

I would keep it consistent to avoid confusion.

> Another possible related hack: If ADD/DEL/MOVE/COPY is selected, hold
> carts in place until the ADD/DEL/MOVE/COPY operation is complete. As
> with carts currently playing, it would need to be made impossible to
> add a cart in front of a holding cart, move/delete a holding cart, etc.

Thumbs up, this is a great idea.

> ### Change RDAirplay Log Columns ###
> ### Change Cart Selection Window Columns ###
>
> The presence of several fields not used by us (AGENCY, LABEL, etc) -
> and the lack of other fields we would like to see (YEAR, ALBUM, etc) -
> is a bit of an annoyance.

I miss changing columns, too.

> ### Retain RDAirplay Log Column Settings ###
> ### Retain Cart Selection Window Columns/Size ###
>
> Currently, changes to column width/order in RDAirplay’s log widgets, as
> well as the size of the Cart Selection window and column width/order in
> RDAirplay and other applications, are not retained after said
> application is closed.
>
> Easy way, from the user perspective: Setting these variable to YES
> would cause the settings to be retained across application
> close/launch.

>From a usability view, the default should be, the application remembers
position and size of window and it's columns.

> ### RDAirplay Main Window Specify Size ###
>
> Currently, the RDAirplay main window size seems to be fixed at
> 1024x738. This is acceptable as a minimum size, but a higher maximum
> would be desirable.

This is, what annoys me really. I think, you want to change the size of
RDAirplay to fit the screen size.

> Setting this variable to something larger than the default would cause
> the window to “grow” outward, to the right and to the bottom.

Do you think of a free editable variable? Or different modes?

Maybe we can collect some default sizes, which are common in our
stations.

1024x768
1280x1024
1440x900 ?
1280x800 ?
1920x1080 (need to adapt font sizes)

> Any new space to the right would be filled by expanding the width of
> the log widget, and by adding the appropriate amount of columns to the
> sound panel.
+1

> Any new space to the bottom would be filled in two ways.
>
> On the bottom right, it’d be done by expanding the height of the log
> widget, and adding the appropriate number of rows to the sound panel
> (including moving the control buttons to the bottom of the window).
+1

> On the bottom left, it could perhaps be done by filling any empty space
> below the log machine and its buttons with a box displaying notes for
> upcoming carts - or maybe the contents of a pre-specified text file.
> Or, if technical and operational limits allow, it could be filled with
> more cart slots instead.

I would vote for more cart slots. Maybe with a "dead" slot with info
about last song, as described above.

> Since we don’t do anything to the size/shape of carts displayed in the
> log machine, any of the buttons, etc., we could potentially run into
> issues with things becoming too small to be usable, depending on screen
> size and resolution. But I think this set of parameters might be a
> decent compromise for the time being.

I'm afraid we need to change to newer versions of Qt sooner or later...
and redesign the windows from a technical view (not the layout
necessarily)

> Note that this neither specifies nor recommends a user-adjustable
> window size. The window size would remain fixed from the user’s
> perspective (ie., no “draggable corners”).
+1

> ### RDAirplay Main Window Specify Location ###
>
> Currently, the RDAirplay main window seems to be set to open at 0,0
> (upper left corner of display) when launched. Any movement of the
> window is not retained after said application is closed.
>
> Setting this variable to some pair of coordinates would cause the
> window to appear at that location instead upon launch.
again, I would vote to remember the positions on close as long as the window is visible

Thanks for your nice ideas. Looking forward for some more discussion :)

Keywan

--
Keywan Najafi Tonekaboni <me at prometoys.net>
http://www.prometoys.net