[RDD] First Steps Document

Rick rjq62 at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 31 14:03:45 EST 2014

I've been following this thread for about 2 years now (I'm not giving up on RDD), but even still, feel RDD isn't (yet) a good fit for our station.
I tried installing it quite some time ago, and it felt too complex, with too little documentation.
Our station is all volunteer, so I would be completely on the hook to keep it running, and without good support documenation, I wasn't comfortable making the jump yet.  That being said, I'm glad to see RDD continue to evolve and improve though!  I consider it excellent.

I agree with Brandon's request.
I think some intiial configuration examples with first steps would be really helpful for new users.

Give them a few baseline examples to succeed with.
From there, they can begin to add extras and gain confidence with setting up/maintaining RDD.

Take a look at Untangle's documentation - different product, but an excellent example of user-friendly documentation:
http://wiki.untangle.com

While it's true there are many possibilities, a good start might be say, 3 example configs that could helpful to new users.

Conceptually something along the lines of:
- Beginner - Basic/Simplest config

- Intermediate - Beginner plus a "most common" option

- Advanced - Intermediate plus one or two options

An example structure like the above should be quite feasible.
This would also establish a base of example configurations (with steps) that others could build upon and contribute.

I hope this feedback is helpful,
Rick Quendun
KMUZ Engineering