[RDD] Small Rotter / remote icecast box thoughts.

drew Roberts zotz at 100jamz.com
Fri Jan 31 09:55:52 EST 2014

On Friday 31 January 2014 09:24:41 Andy Brown wrote:
> You are correct Drew, not a complex setup, I do something similar for
> various community stations I assist with (almost the same setup).

I have been doing something similar for years.

external radio/board feed -> jack ->darkice/liquidsoap|
rotter/darkicetofile  -> icecast/peercast/etc

> The radio/tuner card in the machine will probably be the biggest issue
> as many aren't very good either due to kernel modules under linux or
> poor receivers. That to me is the biggest hurdle.

I have never messed with these and hence search for advice on thme.

> Other than that a standard icecase and liquidsoap setup does me very
> well, Icecast for the bulk listeners to connect to the streams and
> liquidsoap handles the connections inbound (From the radio stations
> streaming to my machine), silence detection, level control, etc.

This application is not one intended to feed bulk listeners. It is more
intended to allow us to monitor our stations/transmitters at remote locations
(other islands)... Although it could handle the bulk listener problem by
allowing someone like museter.com to pull a relay from it and do the bulk
feeding off site.

> You'd need to watch bandwidth, as depending on what datacentre, etc,
> you're placing this in the upload stream bandwidth will quickly get
> eaten up by people listening to it.

The networks I intend to deploy on are not even reachable via the internet
directly. They are basically fibre local loops between our locations.

> If you've got more specific questions I'd be happy to help.

I am looking more for info on low cost/power boxes that can run what is needed
and on the tuner aspect so that I can avoid external radios if it would be
convenient. I am also thinking of it for another application with similar
needs.

> Andy

all the best,

drew